Saturday 6 September 1986

Montreal 2

It was Saturday so M didn't have to work. We went sightseeing.  It was faster to take the bus and transfer to a subway at Iberville so we did that. Straight down the the Expo 67 site, Man and His World. (A sexist name these days for sure.)
Unfortunately it was closed, so we walked around a little and took a few pictures outside the booths and then walked back to Montreal over the Pont Jacques Cartier.
M had a good idea, she would show us the old city.
So all afternoon we walked through crafts and curio shops.
There was a funny bilingual street conjurer who said in a pretend aside in English that he was making a joke about the French, and in French that he was making a joke about the English. The bilingual people in the audience laughed the loudest.
The German girl was looking for a pair of moccasins, not the finished product but a DIY kit, for her boyfriend back home. She missed home, she cut her holiday short so that she could fly back on Monday.
After dinner, I wondered if there were any good shows in the cinemas. The Decline of the American Empire had a intriguing title, but it was in French.
I suggested to M that I might risk my spotty French. The German girl declined to join us. The film was at Cremazie, a suburb not too far away. Unfortunately this show was very popular and the tickets for the first screening of the evening were sold out. So we bought tickets for the late screening and waited it out in a cafe. M and I had an interesting conversation there.
The film was good, and the cinematography wonderful, but the French, and Canadian French at that, too fast for me. So I resolved in frustration to see it again later. A similar thing happened to me years before in Stockholm with Fitzcarraldo, which was in German and subtitled in Swedish. I got to see this in London. Decline was good enough to cross the border and arrive in Rochester several months later so I did understand it all finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment